The other day I thought, You know what my classes really need? They need some sort of cheat code page. I should totally make a cheat code page.
If you are a gamer, you know that there exist networks and documents that are designed to help you get ahead in games. I thought I would make such an item myself just for fun.
So I did.
On the course wiki, for both courses, I created The (not so) Secret Page. It works like this:
1. On the wiki, there is a menu bar on the right hand side. I have specific pages highlighted in the menu bar. Things like Course Schedule and Assignments/Grades. Stuff you would need fairly regularly.
2. However, my wiki has a lot of sub-pages. We don’t need to see all those at once. But, if you really want to see them, you can click the arrow on the All Pages option that is also on the right side of the wiki.
3. If you click on the All Pages option you will find The (not so) Secret Page
Here is what I have written on The (not so) Secret Page:
Welcome to the (not so) Secret Page. You have landed on a page full of nuggets and goodness. The information on this page is sure to help you gain many achievement points and stock up on items in the Item Shop.
This page is updated as needed throughout the semester. It may occasionally be impossible to find this page as it only makes itself known now and then. If you previously found this page, and then couldn’t find it for awhile, you are not crazy. The page appears at random.
If you have landed on this page during a time when it is visible to the naked eye good for you and many congratulations! You should immediately email me at [my email] and provide me with proof that you have seen this page. Then you shall be greatly rewarded even more.
|Hidden Achievements||How To Get It||Achievement Point Value||Additional Info|
|Teacher’s Pet||Be the first person to log in to Schoology BEFORE the first day of class||1000||CLAIMED|
|Kill the Bug||Find an error in the game and report it||500 each time|
|Deep Reader Achievement||Find the hidden message in the syllabus and send an email to the special email address provided BEFORE the first day of class||1000|
|Awesome Commentor||Leave a comment on any of your professor’s posts (see her blog)||2000|
|Secret Keeper||Find the (not so) Secret Page; Email your professor; tell her you are the Keeper of Secrets||5000|
|Great Recommender||Is Recommender a word? Probably not. Make a recommendation for how to improve the game that can be used right now. Get rewarded if the idea is implemented||5000 each time|
|Pi Lover||Get registered with Pi BEFORE the first day of class||1000|
A few things to note about this page:
1. I will make it available/unavailable as I see fit throughout the semester.
2. Students will receive messages (this is a whole other post to come) that will give them hints regarding when it is turned on.
3. Secret achievements will be added to this page
4. Right now, anyone who finds the page gets 5000 achievement points. As the semester goes on, I will be dropping the value of the points one can get for being a Keeper of Secrets as I assume this page will get easier to find over time.
Bonus! Do you know what every Keeper of Secrets needs? A WAND! So I am in the process of having amazon send me a bunch of wands. When you get this achievement, you can get a wand the next time I see you in class.
A few other notes about The (not so) Secret Page:
1. For Kill the Bug: No, I did not go and intentionally put errors in my syllabus. However, there’s a lot of info in this thing so I bet there has to be something. So if someone finds one, they get points!
2. Great Recommender: I love how players can leave comments for game improvements and how sometimes those get used by the developers to make a game better. I wanted something like this as well. I know it’s not for everyone, and I know it can take a great deal of thought, so that’s why I gave it a high value of points.
I love this and can’t wait for the semester to start! I am already brainstorming ideas for my own class!
This is going to be a fun challenge. Cant wait to see how I can use this and work my way through it. 🙂
Very help information! Thank you for the “cheats”– my brother always loved finding those for his video games!
Anybody can make a cheat page you know. 🙂
One of my students brought in a wand that she got on Amazon. When every your flick it the tip lights up like it’s magic. It was awesome!
haha I feel so excited when I find hidden information! Can’t wait for class next week.